Re: [Guile-commits] GNU Guile branch, wip-1-8-mingw-build, updated. rele

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: [Guile-commits] GNU Guile branch, wip-1-8-mingw-build, updated. release_1-8-7-22-g7edad77
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 14:37:02 +0100

() Andy Wingo <address@hidden>
() Fri, 26 Mar 2010 13:07:24 +0100

   On Fri 26 Mar 2010 01:31, Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

   > Is there a nice way of marking a branch as obsolete/historical, or of
   > adding an explanatory note to it?

   I don't know. It would only be for purposes of gitweb/cgit, I don't
   think git has this concept.

Perhaps "git tag" with some kind of conventional prefix?  E.g.,

$ { date -u +"%F %T UTC" ; echo ; } > TMP
$ cat >>TMP <<EOF
This branch is live|dead|zombified|historic|pickled|putrescent|etc.
We keep it around because <explanation>.
If you delete it, someone might complain.
If you add to it, you probably are confused.
EOF
$ git tag -F TMP BRANCH-NAME-nb

This way one can easily ignore *-nb tags.  Using a suffix ensures
that the tag hierarchy mirrors the branch hierarchy (if any).

thi