Re: [Guile-commits] GNU Guile branch, wip-1-8-mingw-build, updated. rele

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: [Guile-commits] GNU Guile branch, wip-1-8-mingw-build, updated. release_1-8-7-22-g7edad77
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 22:17:10 +0000

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> We have a cross-compilation problem in general right now, no?

Not that I'm aware of; at least not for branch_release-1-8.  I think the
problems that drove me to conclude that MinGW cross-compilation isn't
productive are all Windows-specific, to do with differences between the
emulated build environment and a real Windows environment.

> Thinking a little about this, I would think that you would need a C
> cross-compiler, and a Guile cross-compiler. So Guile's build needs a way
> to specify a Guile to use during the build process.

We have this: GUILE_FOR_BUILD.

However, that prompts me to realize that perhaps I'm not really
addressing your question properly.  Because for my MinGW/Wine build I
actually had to suppress the use of GUILE_FOR_BUILD (see [1]).  So
perhaps what I've been doing isn't actually cross-compiling in the sense
that you're thinking.

[1]
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=guile.git;a=commit;h=c9e1f32768232495d1452a45110115ac7c035acd

>> I'll leave the wip-1-8-mingw-build branch in the repository, in case
>> it's of interest, and because I don't know if branches can be deleted.
>
> To delete, git push origin :wip-1-8-mingw-build. (I'm not suggesting
> that the branch be deleted.)

Ah yes, thanks.

Regards,
       Neil