Re: r6rs libraries, round two

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: r6rs libraries, round two
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 20:26:18 +0200

Hello!

Julian Graham <address@hidden> writes:

> It's a fine way of handling version-less dependencies, but I don't see
> how it solves the determinism issue.  Let's say my program (or code
> stream or script or whatever you want to call it) uses libraries from
> two different authors.  Author A trusts his dependencies to remain
> stable and doesn't use version specifiers in his library references;
> author B does use them.

IMO this example is not realistic.  Libraries with a well defined API
stability policy provide ad hoc versioning mechanisms at the source
level, e.g., "(use-modules (gnome-2))".  Likewise, applications
distributed as a source package and that aim to build on a wide range of
platforms are likely to explicitly check for the version of their
dependencies.

By saying Guile should "comply to the letter of the standard", I think
Andy meant to say it should do the minimum required to be
"standard-compliant".

Thanks,
Ludo'.