Re: Wide strings

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: Wide strings
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 07:21:35 -0800 (PST)

> > Ludo sez,
> Mike sez,
> >  1. IMO it'd be nice to have ASCII strings special-cased so that they
> >    are always encoded in ASCII.  This would allow for memory savings
> >    since, e.g., most symbols are expected to contain only ASCII
> >    characters.  It might also simplify interaction with C in certain
> >    cases; for instance, it would make it easy to have statically
> >    initialized ASCII Scheme strings.
>
> Why not?  It does solve the initialization problem of dealing with strings
> before setlocale has been called.

One thing I only just noticed today is that the first 256 Unicode chars are
ISO-8859-1.  Maybe then the idea should be to make strings where the
size of the character can be 1 or 4 bytes but the encoding is always in
Unicode code points, which in the 1-byte-char case would then be
coincidentally ISO-8859-1.

Thanks,
Mike Gran