Re: Wide strings

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Wide strings
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 23:32:29 +0000

2009/1/25 Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden>:

> I agree it would be really nice to have Unicode support, but I'm not
> aware of any "plan", so please go ahead!  :-)

Indeed.

> A few considerations regarding the inevitable debate about the internal
> string representation:

[...]

But what about the other possible debate, about the API?  Are you
thinking that we should accept R6RS's choice?

(I really haven't read up on all this enough - however when reading
Tom Lord's analysis just now, I was thinking "why not just specify
that things like char-upcase don't work in the difficult cases", and
it seems to me that this is what R6RS chose to do.  So at first glance
the R6RS API looks OK to me.

(Although I read them at the time, I can't remember now what Tom's
remaining concerns with the R6RS proposal were; should probably go
back and read those again.  On the other hand, Tom did eventually vote
for R6RS, so I would guess that they can't have been that bad.))

Regards,
        Neil