Re: Plan for 2.0

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Plan for 2.0
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 23:16:46 +0000

2009/1/3 Neil Jerram <address@hidden>:

> I've started doing this review and will hopefully complete soon.

Below is a raw summary of all diffs between current branch_release-1-8
and master.  Next step is to check that everything here is correct,
and properly+fully documented in the manual and in NEWS.  The
"Queries" at the end are bits that I'm not sure I understand yet.

       Neil

Mechanical/straightforward stuff
- version number changes, some will need advancing
  - new i18n lib
  - note also in guile-readline
- copyright years
- top level docs: NEWS, README, THANKS
- textual stuff / typos (doc strings, manual)

Use of Gnulib
- linker warning
- alloca - Have we inadvertently removed requirement for a real alloca?
- count one bits
- full read
- full write: complete write through async pipe; also in fport_flush
- safe read
- safe write
- stdbool
- strcase - instead of Guile's own defn
- strftime - use to fix portability problems
- strings
- time
- time_r
- unistd
- verify
- wchar
- write

Announce build tool versions in autogen.sh

I18N (doc in api-i18n.texi) (including SRFI-19 changes)

memoize-symbol trap and associated options
- Doc refers to "retval", which isn't in the signature

SRFI-18 threads, and core thread extensions for this

strftime %Z fix

serial number in guile.m4

Change to readline.scm's repl-reader

scm_options not taking a count; also scm_init_opts; private-options.h;
- dry run (avoiding exception in crit sec)
- private-options (making option macros private)

Module implementation changes
- duplicates-handlers, observers, weak-observers, import-obarray
- removed: duplicates-interface, observer-id
- module-variable and module-local-variable -> C; also
- module-import-interface, module-reverse-lookup, ...
- Catch a module trying to use itself
- Change to implementation of autoloads?

Autoload (ice-9 debugger) instead of loading it unconditionally

Remove environments.[ch] (to avoid confusion)

Han-Wen GC (including related struct changes)

eval.c/eval.i.c
- still need to compare old eval.c against new eval.i.c
- why does eval.i.c contain code that is common to both modes and that
  is not compiled twice?
- removal of deprecated functions: scm_ceval, scm_deval, scm_ceval_ptr

SCM_INTERNAL (grep diffs for SCM_INTERNAL to get list of affected functions)

Port stuff
- port eviction change
- scm_fdes_to_ports
- port table/weak hash

Src prop impl changes

Signal delivery thread
- allow it to exit, by closing signal delivery pipe
- add mutex to serialize creation and closing

Print debug info when throw from crit src

GH removal

Queries
=======
AC_SUBST(GCC_FLAGS)
lib-version.texi
ChangeLogs still in distribution?
libguile in subdirs list of pre-inst-guile.in