Re: Text collation

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Text collation
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 19:33:58 +0100

> Hi,

Hi, and sorry for coming late to the discussion.  I think this whole
patch is great.  I've a few detailed comments below, and I'll comment
on some of the conceptual issues in response to emails further down
the thread.

>  @c Local Variables:
>  @c TeX-master: "guile.texi"
> address@hidden ispell-local-dictionary: "american"

Hmmm :-)  (I'm British.)  I guess Guile is an FSF project, and the FSF
is US, though, so OK.

> -void
> -scm_init_i18n ()
> +void
> +scm_init_gettext ()
>  {
> +  /* When gettext support was first added (in 1.8.0), it provided feature
> +     `i18n'.  We keep this as is although the name is a bit misleading
> +     now.  */
>    scm_add_feature ("i18n");

OK, but how about (i) adding a "gettext" feature too, (ii) adding a
NEWS item to say that the "i18n" feature is deprecated and will be
removed in a future release, and that people should check "gettext"
instead.

> +(dynamic-call "scm_init_i18n"
> +              (dynamic-link "libguile-i18n-v0"))

You should use (load-extension ...) here instead.  Then if someone
wants to link the i18n lib statically, they can.

(Note that I haven't looked in detail at the C code yet; I might do
that if I get time in the next few days.)

Regards,
     Neil