Re: SRFI-14 and locale settings

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: SRFI-14 and locale settings
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 10:53:14 +1000

> The "i18n" character classification (listed in Section 4.3.2) is
> actually very broad: it considers at least all Latin, Greek and Cyrillic
> letters as part of the `alpha' character class.

I think that makes sense.  Just because some letters in a charset are
not normally used in a particular language is no real reason not to
have them considered letters.

> Therefore, explicitly listing all Latin-1 letters in `srfi-14.c' as Neil
> suggested might be the best way.

Hard coded?  Doesn't sound good.

> Another option would be to add, say, a `--charset' command-line option
> to Guile, or a `set-charset' call, something like that.  Would you
> prefer something like this?

Doesn't sound like fun.  All the locale stuff is pretty horrible
already, better just do something sensible with the posix-ish
selection mechanisms.  Hopefully that'd cooperate best with external
libraries also trying to navigate the locale jungle.