Re: SRFI-14 and locale settings

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: SRFI-14 and locale settings
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 11:28:10 +0200

Hi,

Kevin Ryde <address@hidden> writes:

>> In fact, I'm afraid we have a problem, because the `is' functions from
>> <ctype.h> are fully locale-dependent.  Thus, they don't only depend on
>> the charset being used but also on the language settings,
>
> I'd be surprised if there was a problem in practice, you'd have to
> hope the ctypes were a property of the charset rather than the
> language.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  An example to illustrate what
I was trying to say: Both French and Castellano can be written using
Latin-1; however, letter `ñ' (`n' with tilde) is not a French letter
(thus, `isalpha ()' would return false with a Latin-1 `fr_FR' locale)
but it _is_ a letter in Castellano (thus, `isalpha ()' would return true
with a Latin-1 `es_ES', although the charset is the same).  Conversely,
letter `ê' is a letter in French but not in Castellano, and it is part
of Latin-1.

According to SRFI-14, a Latin-1 implementation should contain _both_ `ñ'
and `ê' in `char-set:letter', regardless of the current language
settings, hence the difficulty we might have building `char-set:letter'.

Does that clarify things?

Thanks,
Ludovic.