Re: GH replacement proposal (includes a bit of Unicode)

From: Dirk Herrmann
Subject: Re: GH replacement proposal (includes a bit of Unicode)
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 19:00:24 +0200

Marius Vollmer wrote:

address@hidden (Paul Jarc) writes:
But maybe profile some code both ways to see if the function call
overhead is significant.  The current macro type predicates just
examine the bits of the SCM value, without even following a pointer,
right?  OTOH, these functions could be implemented as macros too, if
the performance gain was significant, so that shouldn't necessarily
affect the decision of whether to use the new API.

Yes, right.  What about inline functions?  We already use them for
scm_cell and scm_double_cell, we can use them for converting fixnums
as well, for example.
With respect to binary backwards compatibility, inline functions are as bad as macros. In this case, a decision has to be taken between performance and backwards compatibility.

Best regards,
Dirk