Re: Doc organization (Re: Around again, and docs lead role)

From: Max Techter
Subject: Re: Doc organization (Re: Around again, and docs lead role)
Date: 09 May 2003 14:32:51 +0200

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

>     >> My latest thinking is that we could be a lot more concrete, even
>     >> proscriptive, about what Guile is for and how people should use it,
>     >> and that if we did so it would be a lot easier to clearly assess the
>     >> state of the documentation and to finish it off.
>
>     >> (Right now, IMO, it is difficult even to describe the
>     >> documentation status.)
>
>     Max>      My first impression was:
>     Max>         Oops...
>     Max>         such an important project, but obviously
>     Max>         abandoned...
>
> I don't see how you can conclude that the project is abandoned when
> we're right in the middle of a thread about it ....

        I installed the guile package, had a look
        at the manual and at  the tutorial before
        I subscribed and read the mailing list.

>     Max>      I typically look out for a tutorial, immediately
>     Max>      after installation. Not to learn, but to find out:
>
>     Max>         is this something for me?
>
> Did you look at the Guile Tutorial?

        Yes, I did.

        That`s what I do as one of my first steps,
        when exploring s.th. new to me.

        And this was part of the things
        that caused my _first_ and _wrong_ impression.

                Oops, abandoned.

        Important GNU Packages, have excellent doc,
        guile doc is not bad, but not excellent either.

        (although it is an important Package,
        as I got it now, and not abandoned...      :-)

> How would you improve it?

        Too much to say about this,
        to be appropriate for this reply.

        I`ll tell you in a couple of days, more precisely.

        So far only this:

        As an example:
        There is a section

                Using recursion to process a list.

        Before anything was said about pairs,
        and lists, and the concept of the null
        in scheme.

        If this is an tutorial about scheme, you can`t
        ask the (potential) user, to take such a leap.
        You can do this in a preview, but not in
        a tutorial.

        Now if this is not a scheme tutorial,
        (the Title says `Guile tutorial'),
        there is no need to supply such an
        example, because it is a standard
        scheme construct.

        The problem is:
            the parts of the documentation
            seen as isolated pieces of
            knowledge, are good, though not complete.

            But being new to guile, and to scheme
            I had problems to grasp the context (and the
            rational).

>     >> , I think the natural high level documentation structure
>     >> would then be:
>     >>

>     Max>      I am missing, things like: [...]
>
> I agree, and some of these pieces are already in place - see the Guile
> Reference manual.  But I was really focussing on the issue of Scheme
> and C API documentation in my last message.

        Ok, obviously I missed your focus.

        That is because I am still struggling to get the big
        picture:

        The Algorithmic Language Scheme

        * GOOPS: (goops).               The GOOPS reference manual.
        * Guile Reference: (guile).     The Guile reference manual.
        * Guile Tutorial: (guile-tut).  The Guile tutorial.
        * R5RS: (r5rs).                 The Revised(5) Report on Scheme.

        (slib is missing in my local installation, what else
        is missing?)

>     >> - Scheme reference documentation - more or less like the current Part
>     >> IV, but Scheme only, not C.
>
>     >> - Task-based documentation describing everything needed for aspects of
>     >> interfacing with C code:
>
>     Max>         Task based structuring the meat of the documentation
>     Max>         is an idea I like, Neil.
>
>     Max>         That`s what we use software for:
>     Max>                 Solving Tasks
>     Max>                 (beside for having incredible fun, of cause =:)
>
> OK, but given a general purpose language like Scheme, there's a limit
> to how fully you can document it in a task-based way.

> For Scheme you
> need a combination of reference documentation and examples.

       I agree.

       It is clear that this task-based way has advantages
       and  has tight limits on the other hand.

       And may I add:

       Reference

              with short examples.

       Tutorial

               with intermediate examples,

       Introduction / Basic Concepts
                by the way, IMHO there should be a section

                * `Basic  Concepts of Scheme'
                      as there already is

                __and__

                * `Basic  Concepts of Guile'
                      maybe the Whirlwind tour could be
                      extended to such a section, and
                      later on this extension could be boiled
                      down again to an improved Whirlwind tour

               both with longer examples
                (like the one in `An Example of Non-Lexical Scoping'
                 which helped me quite a lot, to dig  one
                 of the not so simple concepts.)

> The C API on the other hand - at least as I think we should see it -
> is not general purpose.

> It has the specific job of interfacing C to
> Scheme and so can be fully covered in a task-based way.

     I am definitely not the one to comment on this,
        not yet   ;-)

regards
max.

PS:
    I would like to help in formulating the overall layout,
    and I am prepared to get my hands on real work,
    concerning the tutorials, if it is decided on
    having (or keeping) them.