Re: Doc organization (Re: Around again, and docs lead role)

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Doc organization (Re: Around again, and docs lead role)
Date: 08 May 2003 23:57:02 +0100

    >> My latest thinking is that we could be a lot more concrete, even
    >> proscriptive, about what Guile is for and how people should use it,
    >> and that if we did so it would be a lot easier to clearly assess the
    >> state of the documentation and to finish it off.

    >> (Right now, IMO, it is difficult even to describe the
    >> documentation status.)

    Max>      My first impression was:
    Max>         Oops...
    Max>         such an important project, but obviously
    Max>         abandoned...

I don't see how you can conclude that the project is abandoned when
we're right in the middle of a thread about it ....

    Max>      I typically look out for a tutorial, immediately
    Max>      after installation. Not to learn, but to find out:

    Max>         is this something for me?

Did you look at the Guile Tutorial?  How would you improve it?

    >> , I think the natural high level documentation structure
    >> would then be:
    >>

    Max>      I am missing, things like: [...]

I agree, and some of these pieces are already in place - see the Guile
Reference manual.  But I was really focussing on the issue of Scheme
and C API documentation in my last message.

    >> - Scheme reference documentation - more or less like the current Part
    >> IV, but Scheme only, not C.

    >> - Task-based documentation describing everything needed for aspects of
    >> interfacing with C code:

    Max>         Task based structuring the meat of the documentation
    Max>         is an idea I like, Neil.

    Max>         That`s what we use software for:
    Max>                 Solving Tasks
    Max>                 (beside for having incredible fun, of cause =:)

OK, but given a general purpose language like Scheme, there's a limit
to how fully you can document it in a task-based way.  For Scheme you
need a combination of reference documentation and examples.

The C API on the other hand - at least as I think we should see it -
is not general purpose.  It has the specific job of interfacing C to
Scheme and so can be fully covered in a task-based way.

Thanks for your thoughts,

        Neil