Re: AARRRRGGH! Die Libtool, die!

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: AARRRRGGH! Die Libtool, die!
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 14:46:01 -0600

> WTF is it recompiling stuff during installation?

I'm not particularly fond of that "feature" either.  I think it has to
do with trying to have libs that will work from the install tree vs
libs that will work from the build tree.  (i.e. perhaps different
-rpaths, etc., and it may be aggravated by cross-platform issues).

If you haven't done it already, I'd try a "make distclean" and
(re)running ./autogen.sh and see if that helps.  If not, we'll try
something else.

> I can't believe this. Every single time that I've tried to do a major
> upgrade of CVS guile, there have been unfathomable issues with libtool
> and libltdl. Why is this always so complicated?

Good question -- It's certainly not entertaining when it happens.

To be somewhat fair though, I'd have to allow that the problem they're
trying to solve is a fairly nasty one, and certainly isn't made any
easier by being written in #!/bin/sh -- not a job I'd favor.

(Personally, I'd rather have all those tools (auto* included) written
 in something like perl -- it's nearly as ubiquitous and *far* more
 managable.  Of course perl couldn't use them then, but AFAIK, it
 doesn't anyway.)

Hope this helps.

--
Rob Browning