Re: AARRRRGGH! Die Libtool, die!

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: AARRRRGGH! Die Libtool, die!
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:14:50 -0600

Tom Lord <address@hidden> writes:

> Both perl and python are not stable.  `sh' hasn't changed much in a
> decade and probably won't for another decade if ever.  `sh' is more
> than adequate for the job.  If you must reach for something more,
> especially on this list, for gosh sakes, pick something rooted in
> stable standards: reach for SCSH, you traitors.

If SCSH (or even Guile) really is comparable in portability to Perl,
and if we were not concerned with having a large pool of potential
contributors (and we might not be), and if we don't think that the
size of the existing base of systems with the language in question
already installed is relevant, then of course I'd rather use Scheme.
My initial feeling was that at least one of the items above was
probably false, but if not, then that's great.

With respect to sh. I've seen what large "portable sh" programs look
like, and I've worked a bit on them.  As a result, I'd have very
little interest in the project if it were written in sh.

Other than that, I agree with much of the rest of what you've said.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu