Re: (sqrt long-digit-string)

From: Nelson H. F. Beebe
Subject: Re: (sqrt long-digit-string)
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 11:25:44 -0700 (MST)

I just tried the posted example of (sqrt long-digit-string) with
guile 1.6.3 on Sun Solaris and got similar scanner errors.

I then chopped off trailing digits and made repeated experiments.
With an input line of 256 characters, guile reports a reasonable
numeric answer.   With 257 characters, it goes into a wait state.
With 258 character, it reports the scanner error.

Evidently, there is some sloppy, and unreasonably limited, buffer
handling going on here.  Lisp programs should be able to read tokens
of arbitrary length (limited only by available memory); otherwise,
bignum arithmetic is infeasible.

- Center for Scientific Computing       FAX: +1 801 581 4148                  -
- University of Utah                    Internet e-mail: address@hidden  -
- Department of Mathematics, 110 LCB        address@hidden  address@hidden -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233                       address@hidden                    -
- Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0090, USA    URL: http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe  -