Optimizer pattern language

From: Mikael Djurfeldt
Subject: Optimizer pattern language
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 04:23:09 +0100

I think I may have caught the gist of Tom's suggestion.

We might invent an optimizer pattern language so that we can install
rewriting rules.  For example:

(rule (lambda map)
  ((map proc1 (map proc2 ls)) (map (lambda (x) (proc1 (proc2 x))))))

[Of course, GOOPS has some specific requirements on such a language,
 for example the ability to treat type information.]

We then either write a pattern matcher (PM) than uses the set of rules
to rewrite memoized source, or write a compiler that transforms the
set of rules into a rewriter for memoized source (CM).

PM or CM then constitutes the abstraction barrier towards the memoized
representation.

When compiling offline, we write PC or CC...