Re: bug in syncase

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: bug in syncase
Date: 24 Nov 2002 09:25:14 +0000

    Dirk> There is a mechanism in scheme that allows to prevent
    Dirk> memoization: eval.  If it is correct that emacs does not
    Dirk> perform memoization, then it might be that the whole concept
    Dirk> of the @fop memoization is wrong.  Could you check whether
    Dirk> it is possible to achieve emacs' behaviour by replacing the
    Dirk> @fop solution by a solution based on eval (or some elisp
    Dirk> equivalent of this)?  I would postpone working on @fop until
    Dirk> this is solved - there are still enough other things to do
    Dirk> for me :-)

Is this a blocking problem for you?  If it isn't, I'd say that we
don't particularly have to solve this problem now.  It is only
relevant in the pathological scenario where a symbol previously
defined as a function becomes a macro, and vice versa, so it's a low
priority bug.  (For example, much lower priority than the odd
behaviour of array?.)

(So we don't lose the details, I'll add a file
translation/elisp-and-memoization.text to the workbook shortly.)

For when we do solve it, here are two considerations.

- I dislike explicit uses of eval, so would prefer not to have to use
  such an approach.

- Looking at the analogous example in Scheme, have we agreed
  (definitively) that Guile should _not_ detect the redefinition and
  rememoize accordingly?

Regards,
        Neil