Re: bug in syncase

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: bug in syncase
Date: 17 Nov 2002 21:07:23 +0100

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

>     Marius> I can't say right now how to fix this, but in general, I
>     Marius> think the whole syntax transformer business needs to be
>     Marius> redone for a separate memoizer/compiler pass.  That is, it
>     Marius> is OK when your new evaluator breaks the existing syncase
>     Marius> and this is not easily fixed.  We need to find a fix
>     Marius> eventually, but that fix should also remove the kluginess
>     Marius> of the current situation completely.
>
> OK in principle, but how long will "eventually" be?

Syncase needs to work again before we can switch over to the new code,
I'd say.  If that is exceedingly difficult, and we badly want the new
code, I think we could first only support syntax-rules, if that is
simpler.

> I suggest that this work be code-managed such that we can still
> release a 1.8 series with syncase working and _before_ redoing syntax
> transformation.

Yes.  The separate memoization pass looks like a big enough change to
postpone it after 1.8.