Adding stuff to the core distro (was Re: Infix syntax)

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Adding stuff to the core distro (was Re: Infix syntax)
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 00:40:02 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> principles on this point.
>
> I'm not sure what to suggest, myself.  Seems to me that one extreme is
> the Emacs approach - basically bundle everything.  The convenience of
> the opposite extreme depends on what kind of package repository system
> (aka GUMM) we can create.
>
> Any clarifying ideas, anyone?

Yes: bundle anything that is usable/finished and documented. All
package documentation should be in the reference manual, or perhaps in
a separate package-manual.

The beauty of using python is that I can go to the python doc-dir,
and do

    grep 'whatever-I-need' *.tex,

(or sometimes even,

    rpm -ql python| grep 'whatever-I-need'  )

and I know directly if it's supported. No hassle with looking around
for relevant webpages, or finding out how to install it.

Perhaps it makes for easier logistics if all packes were in a separate
tarball, due to release frequencies -- don't know about that.

--

Han-Wen Nienhuys   |   address@hidden   |   http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen