Re: Adding stuff to the core distro (was Re: Infix syntax)

From: Lynn Winebarger
Subject: Re: Adding stuff to the core distro (was Re: Infix syntax)
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 17:24:04 -0500

On Thursday 10 October 2002 12:12, Rob Browning wrote:
> Daniel Skarda <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >   I my opinion, breaking guile into small (orthogonal) packages is
> > nice from "pure" developer's view, but it fails in "real world" and
> > builds unnecessary walls between Guile and Joe Average Programmer,
> > who wants to evaluate Guile:
>
> I wouldn't propose that we break guile up into a "maze of twisty
> packages", but I do think that long-term, maintaining some divisions
> may make sense.  I'm not even sure we necessarily need to do anything
> wrt to guile-core as it stands -- for the most part, I'm interested in
> what we might do going forward.
>
> IMO whether or not we break up the *source-tree* is a different
> question from what we do at install time, and what policies we adopt
> wrt interdependencies inside and outside guile-core.  For example, we
> might decide to have a very large source tree that by default installs
> everything, but can also just install parts of itself.  Maybe

    X is the real example of this "throw everything into one big honkin' pot
and pray" approach.  What a beast it is, too.  Regardless of how guile
is packaged to the end user (and that's not really J. guile hacker's
job in many respects), more code barriers are better.  Keeping the
trees separate is a proactive measure for preventing code incest.
   So to speak.

Lynn