Re: Release status 1.6.1 (2002-05-16)

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Release status 1.6.1 (2002-05-16)
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 09:23:26 -0500

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> I'd say that this is not release critical as it does not affect the
> release.

I was leaning that way as well.

>>   (4) bugs/COPYING-is-wrong [rlb]
>>
>>       Umm, COPYING is now the GPL in CVS.  Perhaps I should fix that :>
>
> Has this been resolved with our private mails?  For everybody to see:

[...]

> I'm hesitant to change COPYING as it is a 'standard' file with
> identical contents in a lot of packages.

Hmm.  I had tended to think of COPYING as the 'standard' place (when
it existed) to look to see what license the authors wanted for the
whole project.  So I was just worried that people may look there first
and continue under the assumption that Guile is only under the GPL.

As long as it's clear which part of COPYING is the GPL, then all the
text in the source files should be OK since they just say that the GPL
is in COPYING, which it is (along with the disclaimer, which they may
have already seen if coming from a source file).

Anyway, not a big deal either way -- since the README mentions the
exception, I guess most people are likely to read that even before
checking COPYING.  I'm now OK with closing this bug if you like.

Thanks

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu