Re: Stable branch will freeze.

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Stable branch will freeze.
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 03:59:03 -0800

   From: Neil Jerram <address@hidden>
   Date: 15 Mar 2002 09:24:06 +0000

   The real problem here is that we don't have a shared view of what is
   release critical.  We used to, but I think that sense was blown off
   course by the volume of bugs that have been reported recently.

another problem is prescriptive (as opposed to descriptive) branching --
we created branch_release-1-6 w/o release-related criteria on when to
branch.  this creates an expectation of "stableness" w/o anyone really
being able to define that state, and the expectation is self-fulfilling:
when things are broken it's easy to rationalize leaving them be so as
not to disturb the stableness.

thi