Stable branch will freeze.

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Stable branch will freeze.
Date: 15 Mar 2002 00:29:06 +0100

Hi,

I just made the lonely decision to be more rigorous about the "stable"
branch_release-1-6 branch.

 We need to be much more rigorous about really keeping the stable
 branch stable.  From now on, only release critical, uncontroversial
 fixes will be allowed.  I intend to be firm on this.  We are not
 getting anywhere without restraining us from putting new stuff into
 the stable branch.

Of course, it is already controversial exactly what is release
critical.  I'll just be deciding this. :)

Consequences: the guile-snarf changes need to be brought back to a
state where guile-snarf is completely compatible with the last
guile-snarf that has been installed.  It can add features, but must
not remove any.  Also it should define SCM_MAGIC_SNARFER in addition
to SCM_MAGIC_SNARF_INIT when pre-processing the C file.  The fact that
SCM_MAGIC_SNARFER is defined should be documented, while
SCM_MAGIC_SNARF_INIT should not be documented.  Thien-Thi, I can make
these changes if you want me to.  Please feel free to hack on
guile-snarf in the HEAD branch.  I really think your work on the
snarfer is important, please don't get me wrong.