Re: Guile 1.5.4 beta ready for testing.

From: Martin Grabmueller
Subject: Re: Guile 1.5.4 beta ready for testing.
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 10:53:16 +0200

> From: Keith Wright <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 22:38:09 -0400
>
> > rm -f guile-procedures.txt
> > makeinfo --force -o guile-procedures.txt guile.texi || test -f
> > guile-procedures.txt
> > /bin/sh: makeinfo: command not found
> > make[1]: *** [guile-procedures.txt] Error 1
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/kwright/build/guile-1.5.4/libguile'
> > make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>
> I get the impression that it is supposed to build without 'makeinfo',
> if this is not so it should be mentioned in the README or INSTALL.

Yes, it should build without makeinfo.  This should get fixed.  I'm
not sure what to do best, maybe distribute guile-procedures.txt in the
tarball?

> Well, who cares about documentation anyway?  I tried
>   touch libguile/guile-procedures.txt
> after which the make command finishes but the final program just says
>
> address@hidden guile-1.5.4]$ ./libguile/guile
> ERROR: no code for module (readline-activator)
> address@hidden guile-1.5.4]$ echo $GUILE_LOAD_PATH
> /home/kwright/build/guile-1.5.4:/home/kwright/build/guile-1.5.4/guile-readline
>
> Installing it doesn't help.

What do you mean with `Installing it doesn't help'? It should.

I know that using readline with an uninstalled Guile does not work
because the readline support (Scheme-)code is expected to live in
ice-9, and installation copies it there.  Before installation it is
not found.

'martin