What's going on?

From: Rob Browning
Subject: What's going on?
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 18:26:18 -0500

Can someone explain to me why the tone has become so hostile here
lately?  It seems like all of a sudden, there's an awful lot of axe
grinding going on, and very little benefit of the doubt.

No, guile isn't perfect.  No, the developers aren't either, and yes,
the documentation still needs work[1], but as far as I can tell, over
the past several months, people have been working pretty hard to try
and clean things up, and to add a lot of important improvements so
that we can get a new version out, a version which is unquestionably
overdue, and IMO, substantially improved.

And yes, it's very important that we consider the impact of changes on
actual guile users, so there needs to be an ongoing dialogue there,
but it needs to be a dialogue, not a fight, not from *either* side.
Solving these problems will undoubtedly require compromises by both
the users and the developers.

So can we please try and work these issues out reasonably, rather than
appearing to presume the worst on both sides?

[1] Though several people have been doing a really nice job fixing
    that problem.  The documentation is far better than it was even 5
    months ago.

(Somewhat disturbed by the apparent depth of sentiment behind recent
 outbursts...)

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu