Re: Any reason GUILE_X_VERSION shouldn't be defined in a public header?

From: Dirk Herrmann
Subject: Re: Any reason GUILE_X_VERSION shouldn't be defined in a public header?
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 23:18:52 +0200 (MEST)

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, Rob Browning wrote:

> Unless someone points out a good reason not to, I'm thinking of also
> adding
>
>   #define GUILE_MAJOR_VERSION X
>   #define GUILE_MINOR_VERSION Y
>   #define GUILE_MICRO_VERSION Z
>
> to version.h so that from now on, apps will be able to use these for
> conditional compilation.

I have a good reasond:  We should only use names with a scm_ or SCM_
prefix, SCM itself being the only exception.  I know that it is not done
very consistently up to now, but we are moving towards it.  That is, new
names that don't match that rule should not be introduced.

That means, SCM_GUILE_MAJOR_VERSION would be OK.  However, I don't have an
opinion about the question if the introduction of such macros is
desirable.  For now I just wanted to remind people of the naming rules if
we were to introduce such macros at all.

Best regards
Dirk Herrmann