Re: scm_* equivalent of gh_scm2newstr

From: Dirk Herrmann
Subject: Re: scm_* equivalent of gh_scm2newstr
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 11:43:47 +0200 (MEST)

On 1 Sep 2001, Martin Baulig wrote:

> Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Dave Lambert <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > > Since the gh_* interface is deprecated, I'm wondering what users of
> > > gh_scm2newstr should do when migrating from gh_.  Is there any
> > > intention to provide a comparable scm_* replacement?
> >
> > Yes, there is! :-) But no detailed plan yet.  Do you have a
> > suggestion?
>
> Hmm, what about changing scm_mem2string() and scm_mem2symbol() to take a
> ssize_t and then use -1 to automatically calculate the length from strlen () ?

First, the function gh_scm2newstr works the other way around:  Taking a
scheme string, and returning a null terminated C string as a copy of it.

Second, I don't consider it a good idea to pack different functions into
one, choosing their actual behaviour by some magic parameter values.  I am
glad that a lot of such stuff has been removed from guile in the past
time.

Best regards,
Dirk Herrmann