Re: GH. Again.

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: GH. Again.
Date: 19 Jun 2001 18:55:47 +0100

    Marius> Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:
    >> What I meant was that we should back out new functional
    >> additions.  On analysis, this in fact amounts to just one
    >> ChangeLog entry:
    >>
    >> * gh.h (gh_init_guile, gh_make_string, gh_string_length,
    >> gh_string_ref, gh_string_set_x, gh_substring,
    >> gh_string_append): New.
    >>
    >> All of these are just #defines for the corresponding scm_ name.

    Marius> Yeah, I think we could remove this.  It's a recent change,
    Marius> and even the one that triggered the current discussion, if
    Marius> I remember right.

Great; and yes, I think it was.

    Marius> Ok, so the important thing is to put some big letters into
    Marius> the Reference Manual that will keep new users from putting
    Marius> too much faith into the GH interface, but I don't think we
    Marius> can keep them off it completely until we have a suitable
    Marius> replacement, which isn't something for 1.6.0.

    Marius> I'll try to put the plan so far into intelligible words,
    Marius> and add it to the Manual, without changing anything else,
    Marius> ok?

Sounds fine.  Actually, I should have my autotools back in working
order sometime this evening, so I'd be happy to do this task for you,
if you'd prefer.

More generally, what's happening with the release schedule?  I feel
like getting started on the SCM API doc, but wanted to wait until
after the release.

        Neil