Re: GH. Again.

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: GH. Again.
Date: 12 Jun 2001 23:17:52 -0500

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> The summary: the GH interface is moved out of the central proper of
> Guile.  It will be provided for quite some time, but only for
> compatibility reasons.  We will steer people towards using (a cleaned
> up version of) the `scm_' interface.  Ultimately, the GH interface
> will end up in its own distribution, ready to be taken by anyone who
> wants to work on it.

Presuming that the "final word" on the purpose of the GH interface is
to be a cross Scheme (at least) API[1], then I agree.

  [1] and that seems likely.

> For that, GH does not need to be part of Guile, and it might even
> help if it isn't in the same distribution tarball as Guile.

Also fairly likely IMO.

>  - Reflect this change in policy in the Reference Manual.  The section
>    about GH should be put into a separate manual, and the Reference
>    Manual should talk about the scm_ interface exclusively.

This may be quite good from another perspective -- documenting (at
least parts of) the scm_ interface will finally be a reasonably high
priority.

With regards to the rest of the message, I think I agree completely,
so in some since this is a "me too", but I thought you might want to
gather some concensus for a change this substantial.