Re: Advance warning: module system and symbol disruptions

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Advance warning: module system and symbol disruptions
Date: 27 Apr 2001 13:22:48 +0200

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> One question.  Is there anything in the current module system that
> allows me to get an object representing a binding/location, and will
> there be such a thing after your changes?

Yes and yes.  What you are looking for are probably the `variables'.
Each binding is represented by a `variable' (a smob, actually), and
you can access them via `variable-bound?', `variable-ref',
`variable-set!', etc.

You can get at the variables via

    (module-variable MODULE SYMBOL)

which will return the variable used for

    (module-ref MODULE SYMBOL)

for example.

> (I'm thinking of something that I can key a `documentation' property
> on in the case where one wants to document a binding/location rather
> than a value.)

The variables should be useable for this.  We might even find a way to
store the properties directly with the variable object, if that should
be critical.  (I think I also want to have declarations on variables.)