Re: guile/guile-core/libguile ChangeLog net_db.c

From: Gary Houston
Subject: Re: guile/guile-core/libguile ChangeLog net_db.c
Date: 18 Mar 2001 20:20:17 -0000

> From: Mikael Djurfeldt <address@hidden>
> Date: 18 Mar 2001 18:15:20 +0100
>
> Gary Houston <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > +#ifndef HAVE_H_ERRNO
> > +/* h_errno not found in netdb.h, maybe this will help.  */
> > +extern int h_errno;
> >  #endif
>
> Just to check: Is this definition OK on all systems?
>
> When I moved the #include <errno.h> invocations, I discovered that the
> definition
>
>   extern int errno;
>
> is *not* OK since errno is a preprocessor macro on some systems.
>
> It need not be the same situation with h_errno.  Just wanted to point
> it out.

No, the definition is not good on all systems, e.g., it wouldn't work with
some versions of cygwin.  But configure sets HAVE_H_ERRNO if it's
properly declared in netdb.h.  If it's not declared, it's probably an
old Unix where "extern int" is correct.

That's my theory, which can be verified or not as people try to compile
in future :)