Re: C level variants of make-vector / make-string

From: Dirk Herrmann
Subject: Re: C level variants of make-vector / make-string
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 15:06:38 +0100 (MET)

yOn Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Dirk Herrmann wrote:

> Now, there are lots of places within guile where even the remaining checks
> of scm_c_make_vector and scm_makstr are unnecessary, because they are
> called with constants that are known to fit into the required
> ranges.  Thus, it could make sense to have a _third_ variant of these
> functions which do not perform any range checking at all.  But:  How
> should these be named?  scm_c_* is already used.

After thinking again about it, it seems that this would mean overdoing
things for these examples.  After all, the corresponding functions
could as well be made into inline functions (as soon as the new C
standard is out), which would allow the compilers to automatically
make efficient use of constant parameters.  But:

> First, I suggest to introduce scm_c_make_string to replace scm_makstr
> (which would be deprecated).  The function scm_c_make_string would take
> the size argument as an unsigned long int or scm_sizet.

This makes sense.  If nobody objects, I will do it.

Best regards,
Dirk Herrmann