Re: gh_ vs. scm_ Interfaces

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: gh_ vs. scm_ Interfaces
Date: 28 Jan 2001 18:46:54 +0100

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> It's also interesting that there are several current emails about
> usage of the gh interface.  (And I wish I knew the answers!)
> Clearly people are trying to use gh, so it's well worth thinking
> about how it can be improved.
>
> Thoughts anyone?

Not very constructive ones, I'm afraid.

I tend to ignore the gh interface when working with the C API of
Guile, and using scm almost exclusively.  While the idea of the gh
interface is certainly nice, to me it feels incomplete and not as
robust as the scm interface.

I'm unsure whether all relevant details (such as interactions with the
GC) can be usefully be described by a C level API.  It could be that
work on glue code generators like g-wrap or SWIG are more promising in
this regard.

But given that we have the gh interface and given also that it is
advertised as the `beginner friendly' way to interface with Guile, we
(the developers) should not ignore it the way we are doing it now.

Well.