Re: New module system

From: Jim Blandy
Subject: Re: New module system
Date: 18 Dec 2000 14:35:25 -0500

> Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:
> > To implement Dybvig's module system in an interactive environment as
> > guile's will lead to a couple of problems:  In the example above, we would
> > like to be able to define 'y' in module M, even after M was imported
> > somewhere.

It would be difficult to get variable and syntactic bindings to work
consistently under this rule.  What happens if I import M, and then
change the definition of some *macro* M exports?

You're right that we need to take care to support interactive
development.  I do think a good system must react to changes like your
example and my example coherently.  But I suspect that means it should
track of what needs to be `reloaded', or something like that, not that
it should try to incrementally propagate changes.