gtktalog-devel

Re: [Gtktalog-devel] Translation of a feature request [Fwd: amélioratio

From: Juan Carlos Inostroza
Subject: Re: [Gtktalog-devel] Translation of a feature request [Fwd: amélioration gtktalog v 1.00]
Date: 11 Jul 2003 22:16:33 +0000

On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 22:17, Yves Mettier wrote:
> Hi!

Hi Yves!

> Here is a "translation" of the idea mixed with my thoughts:
> There is a tool, called "tri catalog", working on windows, that can display
> thumbnails
> of the images in a catalog.
> This can be a feature of gtktalog is we add such a field in the catalog file
> format.
> What do you think ?
> And in the case the file format becomes XML, is it easy to store binary data
> (I mean,
> the images) in XML ?

Hmmm. XML is plain text only (as far as I know). But, if we can add some
functionality to it (i mean, having a big .tgz file containing the
catalog, thumbnails and a lot of stuff from the catalog) would do the
trick. It's like having one big file only containing little files.

Also, i thought recently of having GtkTalog with an interface
nautilus-sort-of. I mean, the tree on the left, the file as an icon,
with the name and size. Selecting "Properties" (right click), a window
would open with all the data the file contains. E.g. a mp3, with the id3
info.

Well, just an idea.

Aw, about GtkTalog. I was talking with a friend, coder of Apolos
(Apolos.sf.net, will soon disappear from there and go to savannah), and
saw the code og GtkTalog, just for fun. We thought it was necessary for
the Gtk2/Gnome2 port a very big rewrite of the code. Maybe, starting it
from scratch. (Well, not from scratch literally, reusing some of the
functions and making an internal library to separate the GUI from the
catalog).

Like I said, just an idea. You make that call :-)

Greetings!

--jci