grub-devel

Re: How-to make grub play a sound when it asks a passphrase and/or in ca

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: How-to make grub play a sound when it asks a passphrase and/or in case of an issue.
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2021 17:39:11 +0100

чт, 4 февр. 2021 г., 16:25 Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca>:
On Wed, Feb 03, 2021 at 10:54:28PM -0800, Hanson Char wrote:
> I don't know if Grub currently has any sound or accessibility support.  How
> about having a config option to send some ASCII bell characters "\x07" to
> the terminal upon the events that you described?  That would make a sound,
> but far from being a "tune".  Would such a simple solution be good enough?

What terminal?  Might work for serial consoles but I suspect most people
are using VGA and grub has to implement that terminal itself and how to
play sound becomes very architecture specific.
GRUB has following ways to play a sound:
* Sending \x7 to terminal. If you use serial or BIOS terminal it will work. With GFX terminal it will result in a character instead. Other terminals the answer varies
* Using play command you can play any sound but it works only on i386-pc and uses speaker/PIT. Many systems don't have speakers or they are not connected to motherboards
* Using morse terminal. Same limitations as play command
* Spkmodem. It's not intended for end-user sounds

There's no proper way to hook up sound to described events but there're 2 workarounds:
* Add \x7 to the messages, e.g. through using of .po/.mo translation
* Use morse terminal.
Proper implementation is a feature request

--
Len Sorensen