grub-devel

How-to make grub play a sound when it asks a passphrase and/or in case o

From: Didier Spaier
Subject: How-to make grub play a sound when it asks a passphrase and/or in case of an issue.
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 13:37:47 +0100

Hello devs,

The new installer of the Slint Linux distribution that I maintain allows in
guided mode to fully (minus the BiosBoot partition and the ESP) encrypt the
drive where Slint is installed, if this drive is dedicated to Slint.

As the layout of the partition table then includes just one partition (and
optionally an additional one if there is enough space on the drive), we store
a LUKS keyfile in the initrd and use cryptmount so that GRUB asks the
passprase, no need to type it several times.

So far, so good.

To help blind users GRUB plays a tune when it displays its menu.

But in case of an encrypted drive this tune is played after decryption, thus
blind users don't know if/when GRUB asks the passphrase, and if they type it
blindly but don't hear the tune associated with the display of the boot menu
in a reasonable amount of time (10 or 15 seconds or so), they don't know what
happened: was the passphrase wrong, was it not asked for some reason, or did
GRUB ask to press Enter after a warning to continue?

I'd like that GRUB play a sound when asking the passphrase and/or in case of
events like: the passphrase doesn't match, or another issue require an user
intervention like pressing Enter to acknowledge a warning.

Is it already possible through some setting I didn't find? Or can the above
be considered as a feature request? In that latter case I am of course ready
to test a patch.

Best regards,

Didier