grub-devel

Re: [RFC] efi spi flash support - where to place

From: Michael Lawnick
Subject: Re: [RFC] efi spi flash support - where to place
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2021 10:42:27 +0100

Am 22.01.2021 um 07:51 schrieb Paul Menzel:
Am 19.01.21 um 11:38 schrieb Michael Lawnick:
Q: where to place the efi driver, where to place the command line handler.

Currently I'd say
- create grub-core/flash/efispinor.c for the driver

I guess, that would be fine, but I found,
`grub-core/bus/spi/rk3288_spi.c`, so I suggest to place it there.

I'll check for a move before sending the patch set.
Version to patch against is 6213184b26689fa2e3db297b54cf4eb1713bcad1 ,
right?

- create grub-core/commands/efi/efispinor.c for the command line tool.

Can you please elaborate on the usage? Couldn’t it be some generic tool,
and it doesn’t matter, what interface in the background?

efispinor.c contains commands 'spinor init|read|write|erase'. i.e.
commands to work with flash through efi.
Adding a SPI bus driver like rk3288_spi.c into this implies an
additional SPI flash layer which then bases on the SPI bus controller.
This is something I wouldn't be able to test due to missing H/W and adds
a huge amount of work (which I guess my company isn't interested in to
pay ;-) )
If there were already a flash command layer there wouldn't be any issue
to integrate into that. But I didn't see it.
May be in flow of discussion we can rearrange my code in such way that
it easily integrates to a possibly upcoming flash command frame work.

I am looking forward to this patch. I have no idea, if it will get into
the next release. But as it’s a new driver and command not affecting
existing stuff, an exception could be made.

I'm not (yet) in sync with grub timeline, when is next release planned
(last commit date)?
--
KR
Michael