grub-devel

Re: [RFC] efi spi flash support - where to place

From: Paul Menzel
Subject: Re: [RFC] efi spi flash support - where to place
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2021 07:51:33 +0100

Dear Michael,

Am 19.01.21 um 11:38 schrieb Michael Lawnick:

first of all, I am new to this group/grub. So please be patient if I
violate some group internal rules, just point it out.
Formerly I worked many years on U-Boot.

Welcome to GRUB, and no worries. Plain text emails, and polite. What more can we wish for. ;-)

I have made a driver and command line tool for accessing SPI NOR flash
via EFI interface which I would like to upstream.

Very nice.

Q: where to place the efi driver, where to place the command line handler.

Currently I'd say
- create grub-core/flash/efispinor.c for the driver

I guess, that would be fine, but I found, `grub-core/bus/spi/rk3288_spi.c`, so I suggest to place it there.

- create grub-core/commands/efi/efispinor.c for the command line tool.

Can you please elaborate on the usage? Couldn’t it be some generic tool, and it doesn’t matter, what interface in the background?

[…]

I am looking forward to this patch. I have no idea, if it will get into the next release. But as it’s a new driver and command not affecting existing stuff, an exception could be made.

Kind regards,

Paul