grub-devel

Re: make check / grub_func_test issues

From: Daniel Axtens
Subject: Re: make check / grub_func_test issues
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 00:18:42 +1000

Hi,

I've made a little progress on this.

> I keep having failures with the cmdline_cat test and the gfxmenu tests
> within grub_func_test - the video checksums don't match. The images all
> look OK to me, so I'm not quite sure what the problem is, and we don't
> ship known-good images for me to compare against.
>
> Is this supposed to work? If so are there any tricks to getting it to
> work?

I looked through the git history for unifont, which I noticed was
mentioned in commit 061258a05edd ("Regenerate checksum.h with newer unifont.")

This allowed me to determine that the tests were run with a
debian-packaged version of unifont, so I recreated that environment.

I then noticed that if I checked out that commit, the cmdline_cat test
started to pass, as well as a number of (but not all of!) the gfxmenu
tests.

Bisecting from that commit to grub-2.04 (where cmdline_cat is broken), I
was able to find that the commit that breaks it is 94d9926a6640
("Release 2.04~rc1") - which simply bumps the version number. That
breaks things because the screenshots contain the version number.

That understanding is reinforced by looking at
  git log ./grub-core/tests/checksums.h
which contains a number of commits regenerating the checksums.

I'm still trying to figure out why some checksums are broken for me in a
Debian Stretch environment with exactly the same Unifont, but it looks
like we need to regenerate the checksums for the more recent version.

phcoder, how do we do that? `git grep checksum` isn't especially
revealing, nor is the commit history...

Regards,
Daniel