grub-devel

Re: Verifier running out of memory on ieee1275/powerpc64

From: Eric Snowberg
Subject: Re: Verifier running out of memory on ieee1275/powerpc64
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 11:14:20 -0600

>>> I think that's the problem to solve, at least for this platform, since none
>>> of the verifiers will work due to the memory exhaustion issue.
>> Increasing the heap size may be the easiest way for you to solve this
>> problem. I am not so familiar with the issues around doing this, but I
>> have seen recent discussion on this list.
>
> I found the lsmmap command and it shows me some impressive memory ranges to
> be known:
>
> base_addr = 0x4000, length = 0x17c000, available RAM
>
> base_addr = 0x1fffff, length = 0x1, available RAM
>
> base_addr = 0x21ffff, length = 0x1, available RAM
>
> base_addr = 0x2000000, length = 0x7bbf0000, available RAM
>
> base_addr = 0x7feffffff, length = 0x1, available RAM
>
> base_addr = 0x800903dc, length = 0x7ff6fc24, available RAM
>
> There's more than needed memory here. It doesn't seem to be available for
> grub_malloc, though.

On SPARC, I thought the code was never written to claim memory in different
regions.
Does that same problem exist on PPC?

I ran into a lot of memory corruption problems with ofdisk.  I don’t know if
this
will solve your problem, but you could try this patch:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2016-06/msg00035.html

I couldn’t get any new ieee1275 code to work without it.