grub-devel

Re: workaround for MS Windows' insanity (ignores partition types / hidde

From: Marcel Partap
Subject: Re: workaround for MS Windows' insanity (ignores partition types / hidden flag since 2018)
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 16:39:02 +0100

Thanks Nicholas,
that's actually a great idea. However, in the current set up, we use an ISO
image as a loop device and boot from that.. as in:

> menuentry "Live-System (FSFW Uni Stick Xfce 1213m buster amd64 mit
> Persistenz)" {
>     echo -e " \n \n \n Bitte einen kleinen Moment Geduld.."
>     echo -e "(je nach USB-Stick braucht das System bis zu 5min zum Starten)"
>     set isofile=/boot/FSFW-Uni-Stick-Xfce_1213m_buster-amd64.hybrid.iso
>     loopback loop $isofile
>     linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz boot=live findiso=$isofile components
> locales=de_DE.UTF-8 keyboard-layouts=de timezone=Europe/Berlin utc=auto
> net.ifnames=0 persistence-label=linux-
> userdata,linux-systemconfig,linux-systemdata,linux-system
> persistence-encryption=none,luks
> persistence-storage=directory,file,filesystem mitigations=off rootpw=Risiko
> quiet loglevel=3 splash persistence
>     initrd (loop)/live/initrd.img
> }

It requires a bit of rework on our install script.. I'll try and report back.
If it doesn't work (i.e. successfully boot without windumb asking to format),
my previously proposed workaround wouldn't work either I guess.
Best regards,
#marcel

P.S.: (please cc, not on list)