grub-devel

Re: GRUB version numbering.

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: GRUB version numbering.
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 21:00:53 +0000

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 11:32:36AM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> May I suggest that the number of changes introduced in the last two years
> indicate a more substantive number bump.  Generally most open source
> packages have a numbering scheme in the form of major.minor.patch.
>
> Would the changes introduced be sufficient to create the next stable version
> to be 3.0.0?  Or perhaps 2.1.0?  This would provide users an indication of
> the scope of the change just by looking at the version number.

I have no real opinion on the rest of it, but it shouldn't be 3.0.0: to
many people that would suggest changes that break compatibility, which
really isn't the case, certainly nothing like the change from GRUB 1 to
GRUB 2.  (Yes, it doesn't have to be this way, and e.g. the Linux kernel
is big enough that it can get away with defining its own conventions,
but I don't think it would be a good choice for us.)