grub-devel

GRUB version numbering.

From: Bruce Dubbs
Subject: GRUB version numbering.
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 11:32:36 -0500

I have been following the grub-devel list for many years. It is my understanding that release of the next stable version of GRUB is imminent.

That is great. grub-1.99 was in 2011, grub-2.00 in 2012, and grub-2.02 in 2017.

May I suggest that the number of changes introduced in the last two years indicate a more substantive number bump. Generally most open source packages have a numbering scheme in the form of major.minor.patch.

Would the changes introduced be sufficient to create the next stable version to be 3.0.0? Or perhaps 2.1.0? This would provide users an indication of the scope of the change just by looking at the version number. It would also encourage more rapid releases as new functionality is put into the package or bugs are fixed.

Don't get me wrong. Packages can release too frequently from my perspective. Indeed, the Linux kernel outputs about two 'stable' releases a week. That is hardly 'stable'. For a package like GRUB, a release every six months on a schedule would be ideal, but that may not be best for this package.

In any case, I appreciate and consideration you may give to this proposal.

  -- Bruce Dubbs
     linuxfromscratch.org