grub-devel

Re: debian-installer: please default to grub-ieee1275 on powerpc instead

From: John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
Subject: Re: debian-installer: please default to grub-ieee1275 on powerpc instead of yaboot
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 17:12:16 +0200

On 09/25/2017 05:05 PM, Frank Scheiner wrote:
But I thought about where Grub (modules) is/are installed (i.e. own partition,
`/boot/grub[...]/`, etc.) on ppc64el. And what is used as boot loader, a Grub
image with all needed modules included, or a small Grub image that loads its
modules from somewhere else. And e.g. two Grub config files, an embedded one
for the Grub image and an additional one in `/boot/[...]` or something
different.

I assume it would be beneficial to use the same scheme that Debian uses for Grub
on ppc64el (apart from the partition tables of course). That's why I asked for
information about POWER8 and ppc64el.

It probably makes more sense to look at how GRUB is configured in openSUSE
on ppc64. Because that's actually exactly our setup, namely GRUB in ppc64
on POWER with an MS-DOS partition table.

ppc64el:
On IBM use GPT and install grub there as is already the case.

I don't know why you keep mentioning ppc64el. ppc64el is completely
out of the question for any efforts made within Debian Ports.

Not totally, because it could be used as example, as mentioned above.
Lennart said it in a way as if we were to make any changes to ppc64el,
we aren't and we cannot.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz