grub-devel

Re: debian-installer: please default to grub-ieee1275 on powerpc instead

From: Lennart Sorensen
Subject: Re: debian-installer: please default to grub-ieee1275 on powerpc instead of yaboot
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 10:48:48 -0400

On Sat, Sep 23, 2017 at 02:25:32PM +0200, Frank Scheiner wrote:
> Do we have information about how it looks (e.g. is it Grub by default and
> then, where is it installed?) for a POWER8 machine with Debian Stretch
> (ppc64le) installed from an installer image?
>
> If also working for ppc64 and powerpc architecture machines that way it
> could be straight-forward to use the same method (with respective
> partitioning schemes for Apple and IBM machines) there, too.

Well I think at this point it seems the only option is:

powerpc/ppc64:
On IBM use DOS partition table with a prep boot partition for grub.
On Apple use Apple partition table (I don't know where grub is installed
on those).

ppc64el:
On IBM use GPT and install grub there as is already the case.

There does not appear to be any way to merge what Apple and IBM
machines do.  They are just not compatible that way.

--
Len Sorensen