grub-devel

Re: GRUB open LUKS with image hdd ESXi. It is possible?

From: Robin Schneider
Subject: Re: GRUB open LUKS with image hdd ESXi. It is possible?
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 19:47:52 +0200

On 14.06.2016 22:44, ??????? ??????? wrote:

> Hello. Prompt please, whether it is possible to do using the grub? I copied
> the hdd in the partition command: "dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sda2" Can grub
> open /dev/sda2 as a separate device with its partitions and transfer
> control back. For example how can "kpartx". The general problem is this: I
> want to make ESXi on LUKS encrypted partition. ESXi loader does not support
> luks-encrypted. So I want to keep installed ESXi on luks encrypted
> partition. I want to grub opened luks encrypted partition and boot ESXi
> from there. ESXi uses multiple partitions for their work. Tell me, is it
> possible? If it is possible that for this to be done? Thank you!

Hi.

I am not directly involved in the GRUB project but I think I might be able to
contribute something to your question.
About the first part. I have no idea if GRUB can natively handle a partition
which also starts with a partition table and use the inner partition. I guess
the easiest way to do this would be to just fake the outer partition to
include the partitions of /dev/sda2 or to specify the partition start and end
somehow.

Anyway. Your main question seems to be how to run ESXi (proprietary hypervisor
by VMware) and potentially the data stores of it (where VMs images are stored)
on a LUKS encrypted block device. To summarize, you intent to use GRUBs block
device encryption support to transparently handle the encryption/decryption of
/dev/sda2. As far as I understand it, GRUB would be able to decrypt/mount a
partition in /dev/sda2 and load (to RAM) what ever executable is laying around
there. The thing is that the next step would be to hand complete control over
to this loaded executable. At this point, GRUB is not running anymore and the
ESXi kernel will be booting on the machine. Then, ESXi will try to find it‘s
OS partition(s) (which will probably fail since it is encrypted).
So in short. What you have been asking is not possible with GRUB.
What might be possible in case you really want to use ESXi would be kind of
the [Blue Pill][1] approach. So you would start a small hypervisor before ESXi
which does the encryption/decryption and then in that hypervisor start ESXi as
its guest VM. I have never worked with nested virtualization but that could be
interesting to see if that would work.

Now, having all that said. I guess you just want a encrypted hypervisor plus
VMs. In that case just drop ESXi and use a hypervisor solution which supports
encryption out-of-the box. For example KVM with libvirt or Xen. In both cases,
you would be able to setup FDE easily.
You could also do the encryption in ESXi guests themselves. I am not sure but
maybe ESXi also supports some kind of encryption, at least I haven’t seen such
feature yet. But I am quite sure that would not include the complete system.

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Pill_%28software%29

- --
Live long and prosper
Robin `ypid` Schneider