grub-devel

Attempting to install GRUB to a disk with multiple partition labels or b

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Attempting to install GRUB to a disk with multiple partition labels or both partition label and filesystem.
Date: Sun, 3 May 2015 11:21:33 +0300

Could someone explain why this message is output here? It is absolutely
not what condition checks for

    if (ctx.container
        && grub_strcmp (ctx.container->partmap->name, "msdos") == 0
        && ctx.dest_partmap
        && (ctx.container->msdostype == GRUB_PC_PARTITION_TYPE_NETBSD
            || ctx.container->msdostype == GRUB_PC_PARTITION_TYPE_OPENBSD))
      {
        grub_util_warn ("%s", _("Attempting to install GRUB to a disk with
multiple partition labels or both partition label and filesystem.  This is not
supported yet."));
        goto unable_to_embed;
      }

Condition checks whether we are installing on a netbsd or openbsd
partition with nested partition label. At this point we have really no
idea whether any filesystem is present (we check for it later). So
neither "multiple partition labels" nor "filesystem" appear to have
anything to do with this check.

Also it actually skips further sanity check for reserved sector in
nested partition label and jumps directly to embedding.

So it sounds like both error message is misleading and code is out of
place (it probably should be moved after reserved sector check).

Comments?