grub-devel

Re: Attempting to install GRUB to a disk with multiple partition labels

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Attempting to install GRUB to a disk with multiple partition labels or both partition label and filesystem.
Date: Thu, 07 May 2015 15:03:47 +0200

On 03.05.2015 10:21, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
> Could someone explain why this message is output here? It is absolutely
> not what condition checks for
>
>     if (ctx.container
>         && grub_strcmp (ctx.container->partmap->name, "msdos") == 0
>         && ctx.dest_partmap
>         && (ctx.container->msdostype == GRUB_PC_PARTITION_TYPE_NETBSD
>             || ctx.container->msdostype == GRUB_PC_PARTITION_TYPE_OPENBSD))
>       {
>         grub_util_warn ("%s", _("Attempting to install GRUB to a disk with
> multiple partition labels or both partition label and filesystem.  This is
> not supported yet."));
>         goto unable_to_embed;
>       }
>
> Condition checks whether we are installing on a netbsd or openbsd
> partition with nested partition label. At this point we have really no
> idea whether any filesystem is present (we check for it later). So
> neither "multiple partition labels" nor "filesystem" appear to have
> anything to do with this check.
>
> Also it actually skips further sanity check for reserved sector in
> nested partition label and jumps directly to embedding.
>
> So it sounds like both error message is misleading and code is out of
> place (it probably should be moved after reserved sector check).
>
> Comments?

It's just bad message. We need this special check because net- and
openbsd labels have metadata in the partition and we have no code
currently to avoid this metadata even if filesystem there could support
embedding. So perhaps something like
"Embedding into partitions with OpenBSD or NetBSD metadata is not
supported yet"
?