grub-devel

Re: passing options to grub in xen,openfirmware and efi

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: passing options to grub in xen,openfirmware and efi
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 18:37:55 +0200

On Apr 29, 2015 6:28 PM, "Olaf Hering" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 29, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
>
> > There is a standard where to put it. See xen docs
>
> Yes, its like that:
> kernel="/usr/whatever/distro/grub.xen"
> extra="opt1=val opt2=val"

That's not what I meant. There is a standard on where to find files inside the domU.
> And grub2 does not grab the cmdline provided via extra=. I think that
> providing root=xen/xvdb is the right way to control grub inside the
> domU.
> In anycase, what the OF does today in its init code is valid and should
> stay.
Mixing up namespaces is certainly not valid. This will lead to both intended misuses like changing variables that shouldn't be and unintentional when e.g. root=/dev/xvda2 meant for Linux will sneak into grub breaking stuff